Describe your business. List your location and website.
- A line of natural products for hair and skin that work!
- Oria’s products are available in several locations in PA and VA. O’shay is quickly coming to a store near you. Locations include:
- Whole Foods – 339 East Lancaster Ave, • Wynnewood, PA 19096
- bohema– 6152 Ridge Ave., • Philadelphia, PA 19128
- Nature’s Nutrition Center– 7596 Haverford Ave. • Philadelphia, PA 19151
- Weaver’s Way– 550 Carpenter Lane • Philadelphia, PA 19118
- House of Beauty World– Cheltenham Square Mall • Phila., PA 19150
- Shady Side Country Store & Nutritional Center • 420 N. Berlin Ave.•Lindenwold, NJ 08021
- Salon Vixxen LLC • 1500 Fairmount Ave • Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Al Palace Upscale Grooming Salon • 732 N. 2nd Street • Philadelphia, PA 19123
You can also find Oria’s O’shay in the following states and countries: New York-Chicago-Washington D.C.-Connecticut-North Carolina-Virginia-Delaware-New Jersey-Michigan-Iowa-Utah-Minnesota-North Dakota-South Dakota-Florida-Georgia-Maryland-South Africa-Nigeria
- Maria Lee-Driver is the owner
- P.O. Box 5872 Philadelphia, PA 19128
What motivated you to open your own business?
- I wanted to create an environment where people can come and feel good about themselves. I started my own business as to create that opportunity. I opened a hair salon that quickly opened up doors for other opportunities for myself and others. I opened a hair academy, a kids salon and now the latest venture—Oria’s O’shay. This is product is the first that I have developed.
- The motivation to create this product came when a competitor (who shall remain nameless) failed to provide their product to the kid’s salon in a timely fashion and I had to meet the demand of my clients.
How did you develop your concept?
- I wanted to provide a product that would meet and exceed the expectations or the previous product we were using in the salon. I wanted to use natural products that would create sheen and shine when used on the hair, while truly moisturizing and conditioning the skin.
What inspired you to create Oria’s O’shay?
I always wanted to have and create things that would benefit people for long life. At the age of 23 years old I lost my eyesight giving birth to my youngest child, (weighing only 3lbs 8oz!) now in college. When God gave me my eyesight back I knew I had a solid and soul purpose of being. Creating this with my mind and watching it develop in my hands, applying it in my hair and on my body allows me to know I’m walking in his eyesight not mine. “Detours“, a book I will release in the spring of 2011, will tell the story of so many young and older generations who have the same passion as me and the know-how, but not quite the understanding. I will share my knowledge, wisdom and down falls so that many will not have to make the same detours and getting the same results!
How much capital did you need to get started? Did you use any creative funding sources?
- Funding for Oria’s O’shay came from some private investors and I. Currently, we are looking for grants.
How do you market your business? Do you use any creative marketing strategies?
- Oria’s O’shay has attempted several marketing angles. We have utilized mass marketing, attended events and have dabbled in direct sales.
- Creating ad campaigns and opportunities to reach our target market are currently in the works. Utilizing social media is becoming a focal point.
Are you or your business on Facebook? Twitter? Linked In? Please list.
- Currently, I am on Facebook along with O’shay. I am looking into Twitter and Myspace.
How do you manage employees if any?
- There are no direct employees of Oria’s O’shay. I do work with a select group of people that are helping to take Oria’s O’shay in the right direction.
What are some of your day to day struggles as a business owner?
- Owning your own business does come with struggles. Surrounding yourself with the right people is key to building your business. Reading people is an asset you can’t live without. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is a constant struggle. Knowing when to delegate and assign tasks will help your business run smoothly.
What brings you the most joy from your work?
- Knowing that the products I create work and help other people. Receiving the testimonies from customers and seeing the product work brings me joy and pushes me to move the product forward.
How do you balance work life and family? Do your work demands affect your relationships?
- I give as much to my family as I do to my business. My family supports my business and the products that I create. Now for people outside of my family, there were some that required more attention than I could provide. However, those that are truly there for me and only me support my drive and determination to see this product reach its full potential.
Ms. Lee-Driver has several years of experience working with various clients’ hair and skin. She developed a love for hair and skin care at an early age. Whether offering guidance to a student, hair advice to a client or giving back to the community she always does her best and give her all. Dedicated to her dream and craft she obtained her cosmetology license at the age of 17 prior to graduating from Gloucester High School.
Education has played a key role in her development in cosmetology. Following high school she studied at the Dudley’s Cosmetology University. Upon completion she opened Re-Ons Designing Impressions, a hair salon for a diverse clientele in Ordinary, Virginia. This paved the way for her to open the academy and the kid’s salon. It was at this time Ms. Lee-Driver also gave back to the school system where she learned her craft, by becoming an instructor of cosmetology.
This life-long dedication to her profession has guided her to create her own line of products that are natural and safe, even for the youngest client. Ms. Lee-Driver has always had a strong vision and even stronger desire to provide alternative solutions to mainstream chemical products.
It was while she was creating natural products for the children of the salon; Ms. Lee-Driver developed and fell in love with O’Shay. Creating a product for the children that was natural and free of harmful chemicals became her passion. It was this passion and drive that lead her to find her niche. Initially, this product was exclusively for clients in Philadelphia, PA and Newport News, VA. After a soft launch of these products within these markets, she found her client’s and other consumers demanded this product.
Ms. Lee-Driver plans to utilize O’Shay to reach the masses and as a platform to create joint ventures to promote venues for children, teens and young adults to believe in themselves, reach for the sky while being radiant-inside and out.
© 2010 – 2011, Shalena D.I.V.A.- Author| Speaker| Life And Business Coach. All rights reserved.