Describe your business. List location, phone number, website.
– Allman Financial Planning, LLC is a fee-only financial planning firm that offers affordable financial coaching, financial planning and financial workshops. Clients receive competent service that suits their individual financial needs. There is no pressure to purchase financial products. Clients can rest assured that they are paying for advise that is tailored to their needs.
– Website: http://www.allmanfinancialplanning.com
– Phone: 347-227-1247
– Blog: http://www.yourmoneyandyourmind.com
What motivated you to open your own business?
– I was practicing law at a large law firm and I was completely miserable. I began working with a career coach and during one of our sessions we began talking about financial advising as a career option for me. I had always resisted the idea of working at a large financial advisory firm because the focus tends to be on selling insurance and investment products. My coach helped me realize that I could provide personal financial services on my own terms through my own business. From there, I started doing research and consulting with friends who were entrepreneurs and business owners. My research opened my eyes to the joys and benefits of being a business owner.
How did you develop your concept?
– I developed my concept based on the type of assistance I had previously looked for but could not find. As a young professional, I wanted a financial advisor who could help me make sure that I was on the right track to achieve my financial goals without feeling like I was being pushed to purchase a product that was not in my best interest. I realized that there were many other young professionals looking for similar assistance so that is what I provide.
How much capital did you need to get started? Did you use any creative funding sources?
– Very little capital (less than $1,000). My business is virtual so I don’t need to pay for office space. I had to pay to form my LLC, set up a website, get business cards and checks and other basic business items. But there are a lot of ways to start a business on the cheap. For example, I have a virtual phone number that I use for my business and it costs me less than $10.00 a month.
How do you market your business? Do you use any creative marketing strategies?
– I market my business through promoting my blog on twitter and going to lots of networking events and sharing information about my business. But my most effective and creative strategy has been using press to market my business. I use a website called helpareporter.com (or HARO). When you sign up at the site, you get emails three times a day with requests from journalists who are looking for experts. Experts can respond to queries that fit their area of expertise. It’s a great way to get some press and it’s free!
Are you or your business on Facebook? Twitter? Linked In? Please list.
– My business doesn’t have a facebook page yet (awaiting a new logo)
– I am on twitter (http://twitter.com/kimberlyallman). I don’t have a twitter account for my business.
– I’m on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/kimberlyallman)
How do you manage employees if any?
– I don’t have any employees
What are some of your day to day struggles as a business owner?
– I think juggling everything is one of the biggest struggles. As a small business owner, I have to deal with marketing, client relationships, staying current on new developments in my industry and managing my practice.
What brings you the most joy from your work?
– When I help someone get their financial life in order, I remember why I do what I do. I get the most joy out of helping people improve their lives and realize that they can achieve their goals
How do you balance work life and family? Do your work demands affect your relationships?
– I work hard to set specific goals and schedule work at specific times so that I can make time to see my friends and family during weekends and holidays.
– As a single woman I think my work demands often make it hard to get out and date. There is always more to do with the business and I can always find a reason to work and not be social. But I have to remind myself that doing nothing but sitting in my apartment in front of my computer will not make me happy. I work hard to create a balance so that I can be proud of the work I do but also maintain and develop friendships.
© 2015, Shalena D.I.V.A.- Author| Speaker| Life And Business Coach. All rights reserved.